The Functional Annotation of the Animal Genomes (FAANG) consortium aims at improving farm animal genome annotations, notably by gathering transcriptomics and epigenomics data through the FAANG data portal (FAANG). The successful candidate will help develop informative data visualizations to be incorporated into the FAANG data portal. These interactive visualisations should help researchers identify relevant data for their topic of interest, as well as inform them of the data quality. More details about the project can be found in the ANR proposal VizFaDa available here:VizFaDa
The successful candidate will be hosted at INRAE Toulouse (Auzeville campus) in the GenEpi team. Scientific and technical support and training will be provided by the project partners, making this position ideal for junior candidates. The position will include short stays at the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (Hinxton, UK) to investigate integration options for the generated visualisation tools into the FAANG Data portal itself. The trips will occur at the start of the position as well as one year after to coordinate efforts with the FAANG Data Coordination Centre.
- a Licence/Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in bioinformatics or computational biology
- fluency in at least one bioinformatics scripting language (i.e. R, python)
- ability to work in English (the position includes two short stays at the European Bioinformatics Institute, Hinxton, England and frequent video-calls in English)
- willingness to learn new technologies
- software engineering skills (versioning, code reviewing, continuous integration)
- web application development (notably Angular)
- familiarity with one bioinformatics pipeline manager (i.e. Nextflow, Snakemake)
The successful candidate will be hosted at the GenPhySE unit in Auzeville, south of Toulouse (France), and will be employed by the French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food & Environment (INRAE, ex-INRA). Funding for the project is secured through an ANR grant for Open Science.
Salary starts at 2.030 € per month before tax, with higher salaries available depending on past professional experiences.
The French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food & Environment (INRAE, ex-INRA) is a public institution with more than 10,000 agents across the French territory. INRAE is the first European agricultural research institute and produces scientific knowledge and works for economic and social innovation in the areas of food, agriculture and environment.
How to apply
Send CV and motivation letter to Guillaume Devailly before february the 16th.